Gaga of Mathematics: Cedric Vilani

I was at a friends birthday drinks in a cool little bar in London when the question "So, what do you do with yourself?" is asked. When I replied "math teacher", the person who I was talking to pointed to a gentleman across the room to me. "That guy over there is doing his PhD in maths!" Ok, I am the first to admit that teaching math and doing a PhD in mathematics are very different things - but its not often do you get to talk about Linear Algebra, Topology and ….  Fields winner Cedric Vilani over a few drinks.



Coincidentally a few days before hand I had just read an article on Vilani which then led me onto some of his filmed talks. If you haven't heard of him or seen his clips its worth while taking a few minutes out of the day to appreciate and be captivated by math and the people who study it. As Villani says an opportunity to "share the light".




Comments

Popular Posts