Solar System in St Kilda

I am not sure how I stumbled upon this, but I know it has been on my "To Do List" for a while. It is a scale model of the solar system in St Kilda!
A lovely friend of mine (and mutual appreciator of the geekier things in life) decided to combine our days bike ride to Half Moon Bay with a trip through the solar system. The sun is located near Fitzroy Street just near the lighthouse. Along the trip you will find brass plaques at each spot with information about each planet. the scale is about 1m to 1 million kilometers!
 
We questioned whether there would be a station for Pluto as its no longer classified as a planet. As I rode back from a great days ride I continued past where we started. I rode further along the bay back to my car, and past Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and then I rode and rode and rode until.............my car. And there it was - Pluto!! So I guess I can say I parked at the end of the universe! haha :) Would recommend it to anyone - so go get out there and explore the Solar System!!
Additional Note: The worlds largest scale model of the Solar Sytem can be found in Sweeden - it covers almost teh whole country! Amazing!

Comments

Popular Posts