Skill Drill in Disguise! BINGO!

We had explored the exponential graphs of growth and decay from two investigations and followed up with a calculator investigation in previous lessons. I felt it was time to, as my colleague would say, do some "skill drill". With long lessons I am hesitant just to list questions on the board for students to do.

This isn't very inventive startergy but it allows students to do the drill but with elements of choice. The bingo board is made-up of selected questions from the text or questions inspired by the the questions. Students can choose to work in whatever order they like and there are also some options within a box, i.e. Multiple Choice. The boxes have been grade with one star ("plug and chug" type questions) to three star (questions that might require something, but by no means strenuous!).

It keeps students motivated as they get gratification of crossing off a box and don't feel pressured to do questions in order. It's also good for me to get visual feedback on students progress during work time.

This was a surprisingly successful lesson. I also learnt that there are many types of Bingo (according to my students) - as some took the liberty to re-title their page "Australian Bingo" after they discovered it was not just 3 in a row (!!). They told me this type of Bingo where they have to get all boxes is often called "Blackout" in the US - I guess you learn something new everyday!


Comments

Popular Posts